Saturday, January 19, 2013

Burned and Broken Bridges

For the first time in the life changing and ever impressive history of my blog, I'm writing about someone who doesn't talk to me. I've written about old friends who I don't talk to as much as I like. That's not what this is. I've written about passed on loved ones. That ain't this either. I have even written about a Mortal enemy who  redeemed herself in Phoenix-like fashion. I hope someday I can write that story about this friend, but today isn't that day.

This friend is someone who I've known for 10 years. For me, that's a really long time. It's about as long as I've known anyone except for my deep voiced Butler, my first childhood crush, and a really short girl whose hair I used to pull. Those are three different people who all deserve their own posts -- but I digress.

This friend, who shall be heretofore called "Bridget" was in my health class in seventh grade. She was cute, and I was awkward as has hopefully been made clear to this point so I can stop saying it. She was also super sweet though. She had a bright tinkling laugh and really bright eyes. She's probably is five feet tall in shoes (though I haven't seen or talked to her in nearly four years, so I'm not sure) and never grew after seventh grade. I learned later that she played guitar and sang and had many talents.

The event of how we met can be summed up in one word that, if she ever reads it, already knows is coming. Bridget was reading out loud from our health book and said the word, "Heredity" which she pronounced "Here-ditty". I laughed and repeated her. She blushed and then kept reading. Somehow that worked, and we became kinda friends at that point.

Over the next five years, we were in plays together, and we went on a couple of dates. We were buddies, and pretty good ones at that. She and I talked on the phone regularly, and we kinda liked each other on and off, but it never really clicked.

Bridget also had her share of unfair breaks. Some guys that she dated were not good to her. She had some unfair breaks in her family life. She was always that girl with a heart of gold that wanted to love and be loved and never take anything else too seriously because sometimes life just stinks.

So what happened to us? As best as I can tell, it was one argument. It was over Facebook  It was with a group of people. It was over something political. It was also the only time we ever fought. It was right before I left to be an LDS missionary for two years so I didn't hear from most people I knew, and wasn't shocked that she didn't contact me during that time. Missionaries don't use Facebook call home/leave their area, or things like that while they're gone. Their contact comes in form of e-mails to parents once a week and letters from those old fashioned and caring enough to send them.

So she didn't write me. It happens.

What DID happen was she started living her own life. She married a guy much different from myself, but one who, by all appearances takes care of her. He seems a little scary looking, but I think that's what he goes for. She's going to school. They work worked. She stayed fairly static to what I've known and written about her, and, really, I'm pretty sure she's happy. Her life followed the path of what I probably expected the longer I knew her.

What I didn't expect though is that when I came back, she wouldn't let me be her friend. We let our 2nd grade music teacher and our Jr. High Acquaintances mother be our Facebook friends, but she wouldn't let me. She didn't have the same number, and she was married now, so it's not like I could call her. Every once in a while she runs into one of our mutual friends, and I invariably get brought up. She validates the fact that she stopped being friends over a Facebook disagreement. She mentions to them that she's "thought about" getting in contact with me. And every time, I just wonder why she doesn't do it.

I called her Bridget, because in this gap we've created, I'd like to "Bridge-it." I know, I know. I don't need to be best friends again. I don't need to be invited over for dinner, or have your child named after me. I'd like to be able to talk though. I'd like to be able to wish you a happy Birthday, or to tell you when I'm excited about something. We have so many similar interests, and stories, and I don't want that all to be wasted. I think somewhere inside, you don't either. Please let go of whatever stops you. All I want to know is...


Why can't we be friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment